Authentic Ginger Root Tea (GRT) is so easy to prepare, I hesitate to even call it a recipe. In addition to being super easy to make, GRT is incredibly healthy and delicious all in the same sip!
One of the healthiest spices on the planet, ginger is loaded with nutrients and bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for your body. As an anti-inflammatory agent, ginger may improve brain function and protect against Alzheimer’s Disease. Additionally, ginger may help: lower the risk of infections, lower LDL cholesterol, reduce menstrual cramping, treat chronic indigestion, drastically lower blood sugars and improve heart disease risk factors, reduce pain and stiffness in osteoarthritis, reduce muscle pain and soreness, and treat a variety of forms of nauseas – especially morning sickness. It may even help with some forms of cancer.
True story: I was recently diagnosed with strep throat and my MD advised me to take ginger. Well, I showed her my thermos filled with GRT, and the doc was spellbound and delighted! I kid you not!
(Makes 20 oz. of GRT)
• Fresh ginger root – approximately four 1” sized peeled pieces
• Fresh turmeric root – (In the ginger family, turmeric is another spice rockstar. Go lightly on this root though since it has a slightly medicinal flavor) – one ½” peeled piece
• Filtered water – enough to fill a 20 oz. BPA-free thermos canister (I use an insulated stainless steel hydro flask.)
- Lemon - enjoy a squeeze of fresh lemon
- Spearmint - a few sprigs adds phyto-nutrients and is especially aromatic
- Raw, organic honey - for those wanting a sweeter tea, try 1 teaspoon per cup of your tea
Fill you canister with filtered water and empty that canister of water into a tea pot. Set the flame on high and allow to boil.
While the water is getting hot, rinse of pieces of ginger and turmeric under filtered water. Cut up the respective roots to the sizes indicated above. Once cut, peel so that the maximum amount of spice flesh is exposed, (more exposure = more flavor). Drop the cut and peeled root pieces into the canister.
Once the water has boiled, empty the same into the thermos and tighten the top. Let steep for at least 2 hours. Start sipping and enjoying your GRT from then on there. As the day progresses, the flavor of the GRT will become richer and stronger. (Hint: Leave the root pieces in the canister until you’ve reached the desired taste or until you’ve finished your tea).
While I take my GRT hot, this wonderful beverage, after steeping, may be enjoyed hot or cold. So, drink, be merry, and enjoy in good health my friends!
If you liked this recipe, please feel free to share it with your family and friends! Also, if you’d like to make a comment, we always enjoy hearing from you. Cheers!