I roast so many of the foods I eat since it’s easy and the results are always amazing. And, these are the kinds of recipes I try to offer – easy to make, delicious to eat, and fantastically healthy for your body and soul!
Artichokes, which are now in high season, are another real food item that turn into a grand slam of flavor when coming out of your oven! Of course, artichokes can be prepared in a variety of ways – steamed, boiled, grilled – but for today, let's talk roasted/baked.
Besides tasting great and being fun to eat, artichokes are super loaded with health. While most of us love artichoke hearts, the leaves contain the most nutrients. Consequently, I encourage you to eat whole artichokes.
Did you know artichokes are one of the most liver detoxing foods? They are! Artichokes are loaded with antioxidants which help to fight off disease, stress, and even cancer. They are also the perfect healthy, low-glycemic food which is great for stabilizing blood sugar. Moreover, artichokes are high in iron and other precious minerals which all work together to optimize your health. In short, the artichoke is a nutritional and flavorful powerhouse winner!
How to select your fresh artichoke: Look for artichokes that are green or purple and have tightly closed petals. They should feel dense and heavy for their size. The stem should look fresh as well.
How to eat your Simply Roasted Artichoke: Let your artichoke cool for 10-15 minutes. Now, start with the exterior leaves and work in. Pull off each leaf, and put the large end of the leaf in your mouth and bite down as you pull out. You should get a nice mouthful of tender artichoke meat in every pull/bite. Discard the leaves.
When you get to the center of the artichoke, pull off the thin leaves and use a spoon, (a grapefruit spoon is great), to scoop out the thistle-y center until you get to the smooth base. This is the beloved artichoke heart which is best dipped in melted butter or olive oil with freshly squeezed lemon, garlic, and/or sea salt.
One last, blissful tip: Try sipping water while eating your artichoke. The water brings out the amazing sweetness of the artichoke. What a treat!
Simply Roasted Artichokes
Serves 2 (For more servings, simply buy extra artichokes and follow the recipe.)
• 2 Fresh, Whole Artichokes
• 1 lemon
• A few short drizzles of extra virgin olive oil or melted grass-fed butter
• Sea salt
• 1 small garlic clove
• Pre-heat oven to 400⁰ F
• Rinse off both artichokes and pat dry
• Cut off the top inch of each artichoke
• Also cut off the bottom part of the stems as well as peel off the tough stem outer sides
• Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on the cut sections of the artichokes to prevent them from turning black
• Add sea salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice into 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Pour this marinade over the artichokes.
• Enclose either artichoke in a piece of aluminum foil adding freshly sliced lemon into the wrap. You may also dice a clove of garlic and sprinkle the small garlic pieces into your wrap as well.
• Place the wrapped artichokes onto a cookie sheet and into your 400⁰ F oven.Allow to bake for approximately 1 hour to 1:15 hours.
Now, test your artichoke. When you can easily pull off one of the artichokes outer leaves, you will know its done.
Remember, once your artichokes are done, let them sit for approximately 15 minutes to cool enough so you can comfortably handle, peel, and eat them.
If you like this recipe, please let me know! Also, please share this with your interested family, friends and colleagues. Thanks!
Catherine Ebeling – Artchokes: 10 Health Benefits You Didn’t Kn